Travellers Australia

This message is only visible to admins.

Problem displaying Facebook posts. Backup cache in use.
Click to show error

Error: Cannot call API for app 1537097573057032 on behalf of user 595350121308582
Type: OAuthException
Solution: See here for how to solve this error
Join Group
Image Alt

Bar Jobs Australia



With a social atmosphere, good pay and loads of tips to be made, bar work is a preferred job option for many travellers. Work is available in all metropolitan areas, and for those with a sense of adventure, bar work regularly becomes available in roadhouses, outback resorts and even mines, as well as bars, pubs, clubs and casinos across Australia.

A lot of hospitality jobs require you to work shifts ranging from three hours to seven or eight hours (or more). If you are a casual employee, you will work for an hourly rate. This can be a great way to earn money quickly because you can do plenty of hours/week and the hourly rate paid is higher then full time work.


Unlike some countries, casual hospitality jobs in Australia pay a good base wage and sometimes include tips on top of this. If you are a casual you will be paid an hourly rate that will obviously vary between employers. Hourly hospitality base rates for adult casuals are usually $15-$20 per hour. You will normally get paid extra for working overtime/late nights and possibly ‘time-and-a-half’ or ‘double time’ on Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays.


There is no compulsory tipping or built-in service charges in Australia, although tipping for good service is becoming more common in restaurants in the bigger cities. Satisfied customers will leave around 10% of the bill, or more. In bars, tipping is less common but customers will often leave small change. Tips are often pooled amongst staff.


However, it’s not always easy to land a job unless you can flip, shake, and stir like Tom Cruise in Cocktail, and even if you do have years of experience behind a bar you will still need to get certified. It’s a legal requirement that all hospitality staff hold certification, known as an RSA (Responsible Service of Alcohol) and RGS (Responsible Gambling Services) before being eligible for employment on licensed premises. 


Find hospitality / bar jobs in Australia


To search for bar jobs in Australia, visit Travellers At Work. TAW is Australia’s largest job database just for travellers, with thousands of positions available.