Travellers Australia

1 years ago

Travellers Australia is an open community for people planning a gap year or trip to Australia to discuss travels plans, tips and experiences with each other. Whether you're already in Australia, or planning a trip here soon - use the group to chat about visas, farmwork, travel tips and more. ... See MoreSee Less

View on Facebook

1 years ago

View on Facebook
Join Group
Image Alt

2nd Year Visa Extension


It seems that the Aussie Government absolutely loves working holiday travellers because in the last few years they have changed the rules to enable travellers with Working Holiday Visas to stay an extra year longer! 

If you have spent a total of 88 days working in designated regional parts of Australia doing what the Immigration Department classify ‘Specified Work’, then you could be eligible to apply for an extra year Down Under. There’s heaps of different jobs that come under the main Specified Work listings, including:

  • Plant and Animal Cultivation
  • Fishing and Pearling
  • Tree Farming and Felling
  • Mining and Construction
  • Click Here to search current 2nd Year Visa jobs available with Travellers At Work

General requirements & age restrictions

To be eligible for a second Working Holiday visa, you must meet several requirements. You are able to apply either while you still hold a first Working Holiday visa or at a later date.

You must:

  • have completed 88 days of specified work in regional Australia while on your first Working Holiday (417) visa (there is no requirement to do further specified work on the second visa)
  • not have previously entered Australia on a Work and Holiday (462) visa
  • be aged between 18 and 30 years at the time of applying, however, you may be aged over 30 years of age at the time your visa is granted
  • be applying no more than 12 months before you intend to travel to Australia, if applying from outside Australia
  • will not be accompanied by dependent children at any time during your stay in Australia

Where can I apply?

Applications may be made from either in or outside Australia:

  • If you lodge your application outside Australia, you must be outside Australia and in the country you applied from to be granted your visa. You can lodge your application at any Australian government office overseas.
  • If you lodge your application in Australia, you must be in Australia to be granted your visa.

Note: You should apply before your current visa runs out. If you want to travel overseas while the application is being processed, you must contact the Cairns Second Working Holiday Centre (address below)  to apply for a Bridging Visa with travel rights.

How long you can stay in Australia if you are granted a second Working Holiday visa?

  • If you are in Australia when you apply, and held a first Working Holiday visa: You can remain in Australia for 24 months from the date you first entered Australia on your first Working Holiday visa
  • If you are in Australia, but did not hold a first Working Holiday visa: You can remain in Australia for 12 months from the date your second Working Holiday visa is granted
  • If you are outside Australia when you apply, you can travel to Australia at any time in the 12 months from the date your second Working Holiday visa is granted (this cannot be extended or deferred), or you can stay in Australia for 12 months from the date you first enter the country on your second Working Holiday visa. Your 12 month stay period starts when you enter Australia.

How do I apply?

Online Applications

You can apply for your second-year visa extension online using the link below. The application process can take around 20 minutes. You will receive a Transaction Reference Number (TRN). It is important that you record this number as it is used to identify your application when you contact the department and to access information about the progress of your online application.

Paper Applications

You must complete an Application Form 1150. The application checklist on Form 1150 details the information and supporting documents you must provide with your paper application. Note: European Union and national identity cards cannot be used to apply for a Working Holiday visa. You must apply using a passport from an eligible country. If you lodge an application using an identity card, your application cannot be accepted, and you will need to lodge another application using your passport. Complete applications are likely to be processed more quickly. Incomplete applications may be delayed or, in some cases, refused.

You can lodge or post a paper application for your second Working Holiday visa in or outside Australia. Send paper applications to:

Cairns Second Working Holiday Centre
Department of Immigration and Citizenship
PO Box 1269, Cairns QLD 4870, Australia

After you lodge your application

You can check your visa details, including your visa grant number and visa conditions, using the Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) system. You can use either your TRN or the password that you recorded at the end of your online visa application. If you do not have a password or have forgotten it, you can obtain a new one by calling 131 881 within Australia.

If your visa is not granted, the department sends you a notification letter advising you of the reasons for the refusal, your review rights and the time limit for lodging an appeal.

Your rights for a review of the decision differ, depending on whether you lodged your application in or outside Australia. If you lodged in Australia, the refusal letter advises you of your review rights and the time limit for lodging an appeal. If you lodged outside Australia, you have no right for a review of the decision.

Use these links to get started: