Apply for an Australian Business Number ABN
Some employers will require thier Working Holiday Makers employees to apply for an Australian Business Number (ABN). By appying for an ABN you are registering yourself as a ‘business’ i.e self-employed.
An ABN is not the same as a Tax File Number (TFN). The TFN is your personal number for dealings with the ATO. An ABN, whilst ‘attached’ to your TFN on ATO systems, is a public number used in business dealings.
• helps you claim goods and services tax (GST) credits
• facilitates a single business activity statement
• lets you claim any energy grants credits that you qualify for
• stops businesses deducting pay as you go (PAYG) withholding tax from payments to you
• allows businesses to easily confirm your details for ordering and invoicing purposes
If your business has an annual turnover of $75,000 or more, you must register for GST and you’ll need an ABN to do this. If your business has a lower annual turnover, it’s up to you whether you register.
How do I apply for an ABN?
Obtaining an ABN is quite simple and can be arranged within just 24-hours. Travellers Contact Point recommends using an reputable ABN Registration service. Simply click below.